Can Mario

Modernist

Tower

Can Mario Modernist Tower

Located in the centre of Palafrugell, the Can Mario Modernist Water Tower is unique in Catalonia, an exceptional construction in the world of cork, whose singular nature is highlighted by the fact that it has been a Cultural Good of National Interest since 2000. Built between 1904 and 1905, the project by the architect General Guitart y Lostalo and metallic structure built by the Juan Torres Architecture Studio of Barcelona.

The need for water towers to ensure the water pressure in cork factories in an era without running water led to the proliferation of these types of constructions. However, in the entire Catalan cork sector, there is no other which, beyond its functionality, is as careful of the details of its image. This was due to the particular form of work by the company Miquel, Vincke & Meyer. When industrialising an old artisan manufacturer, the company sought to highlight its power through imagery.

The tower preserves elements which allow it to be easily attributed to this artistic current. Can Mario stands out due to its decorative part based principally on a spectacular forge work, from the railing of the stairwell, which provides access to the upper part of the tower and which ascends in a spiral around the central body until the upper crown. The elegant distribution of the iron braces is also relevant, a very uncommon aspect in this type of construction, normally considered secondary and with a very functional appearance.

From the top of the Water Tower there are magnificent views of Empordanet.

EXHIBITIONS AND ACTIVITIES

DURING THE VISIT

It is currently closed to the public due to restoration and improvement works. If you want to take a virtual tour click here

FAMILY VISIT

Cork agglomerate ovens from the Bòbila Vieja (Old Brickyard).

Built between 1913 and 1915, these were the first ovens of black agglomerate in Catalonia and in Spain, and one of the oldest built outside of the United States, dedicated to this production. The product obtained was obtained by heating the cork sawdust to high temperatures without any type of added agglutinate. It was an essential product for thermal insulation. Later on with the construction of another plant in the decade of the 1920s, these ovens were dedicated to the manufacture of tiles and valve insulators. Starting from 1920, when the factory known as the Bóbila Nueva (New Brickyard) was built, the old installations of the Bóbila Vieja were modified to be dedicated to manufacturing pavements and coverings for tubes and valves of agglomerated cork.

The external façades of this space were restored in 2014. At the moment, work is being done to turn the space into a museum so that it is a historical space open to the public which can be visited independently, in groups or through guided activities. This space is directly managed by the Cork Museum.

SCHEDULES

urrently closed to the public.

HOW TO ARRIVE

By car
From Barcelona to Palafrugell it is 135 km. Visitors should take the AP7 highway in the direction of Girona/France and take exit 9 (Vidreres / Lloret) in the direction of Sant Feliu de Guíxols and Platja d’Aro on the C-35, continue in the direction of Palamós (C-31) and take exit 331 Palafrugell Sud. From the border with France to Palafrugell it is 80 km. Visitors should take the AP7 highway in the direction of Barcelona and take exit 6 (Girona Nord), go in the direction of La Bisbal / Palamós (C-66) and take the exit for Palafrugell Nord.

By bus
Palafrugell’s bus station is located on Carrer Lluís Companys, 2 and connects the town of Palafrugell with the neighbouring towns. Consult the prices and schedules on this website

Julivia Tourist Bus
From the end of June to the middle of September, this bus allows passengers to easily travel to the most emblematic parts of the town (Palafrugell – Llafranc – Tamariu – Calella) without needing to take a car. You can consult the prices, schedules and routes here.

PARKING

Bicycles
There is an area to park the bikes in front of the Cork museum, between Carrer Begur and the Placeta del Museu del Suro, just a few meters from the Tower.

Cars
Cars have a paid underground parking lot on Carrer Begur, right next to the museum.

Buses
There is parking space for buses in the designated area on Carrer de la Lluna throughout the year and also in the Espai Firal area on Avinguda d’Espanya, except for July and August.